A dining table is a must-have piece of furniture that plays an important part in family meals and gatherings. When it comes to choosing the right dining table dimension & size for your needs, there are various factors to bear in mind: the number of guests you’ll be inviting for dinner as well as the size of your dining room. If you’re planning on hosting large dinner parties, you’ll need a large table, and if you’re only going to use the table for your day-to-day meals, then a small table will suffice.
To help you choose the right dining table for your home, you first need to understand the standard dining table dimensions according to the table’s shape, height, and seating capacity.
Standard Dining Table Height
Dining tables come in different shapes and sizes. But the standard height of a dining table is usually always the same. To serve its purpose, the table has to be high enough for those who gather around it to eat or chat. To dine comfortably, your chosen table shouldn’t be too high. The average height of dining tables is between 28 and 30 inches from floor to the table surface.
Counter Dining Table Height
Counter dining tables are typically as high as 36 inches. These types of tables are known to create an informal atmosphere for small family gatherings. Counter tables are sometimes referred to as bar tables and should be used with stools or high chairs.
Standard Round Dining Table Dimensions
A round dining table creates a cozy and informal atmosphere that makes it easy to converse with your guests or family without straining your neck or raising your voice across the table. However, a round table isn’t always the best option to entertain a large number of people. A large round table might not be the best solution for smaller dining room spaces.
Here are the standard dimensions for round dining tables:
- 36 to 44 inches in diameter will seat up to 4 people
- 44 to 54 inches in diameter will seat 4 to 6 people
- 54 to 72 inches in diameter will seat 6 to 8 people
Standard Oval Dining Table Dimensions
Similar to round tables, an oval shape dining table is ideal for occasional seating. These tables allow you the flexibility to expand or reduce their size plus they are perfect for smaller spaces as the edges of these tables don’t stick out.
Here are the standard oval table dimensions:
- 36 inches in diameter and 44 inches in length for seating 4 people
- 36 inches in diameter and up to 56 inches in length for seating 4 to 6 people
- 36 inches in diameter and 72 inches in length for seating 6 to 8 people
- 36 inches in diameter and 84 inches in length for seating 8 to 10 people
Standard Square Dining Table Dimensions
A square-shaped dining table has its own advantages and disadvantages just like a round table. This table is ideal for intimate dinners and people who want to sit close together. However, square dining tables aren’t suitable for narrow dining rooms as they can cramp the space. Also, if you’re planning on seating more than 4 people at your table, it’s better to buy an extendable table.
The standard square table dimension is 36 to 44 inches in width for seating 4 people.
Standard Rectangular Dining Table Dimensions
A rectangular dining table is one of the most common choices for dining rooms. These tables take up the most space and are ideal for large gatherings. For long and narrow dining rooms, you can find narrow rectangular tables that will comfortably fit your space. Some can even be extended to change their length whenever you want to host large dinner parties.
Here are the standard rectangular dining table dimensions:
- 36 inches wide x 48 inches long for seating 4 people
- 36 inches wide x 60 inches long for seating 4 to 6 people
- 36 inches wide x 78 inches long for seating 6 to 8 people
Tips on Selecting the Right Dining Table
– Before choosing a dining table, measure the room the table is going in. As a rule of thumb, allow at least 42 inches between the wall and the edge of the table. This will allow enough space to get in and out of your chair without bumping into the table. If it’s not possible to leave 42 inches of room, the very bare minimum should be 36 inches. You should never go below this in order to fit a large table into a small space.
– Extendable dining tables are ideal for smaller or narrow rooms. If your dining room allows 42 inches of extra space from the wall to the table, but you don’t want the table to take up this much space most of the time, an extendable dining table will be a good choice.
– To ensure you don’t choose a table that’s too small for your dining room, don’t leave more than 180cm of space from the edge of the room.
– If you can’t decide between a round, square, oval or rectangular dining table, consider the shape of your room and the amount of seating you want. For example, large square tables make intimate conversations difficult and they restrict movement. Round or oval tables, on the other hand, tend to be more informal and are ideal for family gatherings. All in all, the bigger the table, the more restricting it is to have conversations with the person sitting next to you. In this case, we recommend a round dining table.
– For homes with small children, it is best to seat them closer together for formal occasions. Rather than placing chairs behind the table, opt for benches and allow 18 to 24 inches of space between each child.
Once you have determined the perfect dining table size and shape for your space, you can then select a suitable table based on the measurements we’ve outlined here.