Used in many modern and traditional homes, including lodges on ranches, the Western style decor is a super stylish interior design that has gained much popularity in recent years. One of the biggest advantages to this type of decor is its ability to cozy up the living room. Thanks to its rich, warm colors and textures, cowhide rugs and natural material accents, it’s no wonder many homeowners are embracing this interior style for their homes.
If you’re curious to know more about Western decor ideas for living rooms, keep reading this article…
What is Western Style Interior Design?
Western-style interior design is a rustic trend with a certain nostalgic feel. Homes decorated in this theme look very cozy and simple as the idea is to create a relaxing atmosphere. This motif embraces natural materials, warm colors, rich textures and patterns for an artistic and homely setting.
If you’re considering decorating your living room in Western style, then you might want to take a look at our good to know tips and ideas with pictures below:
Western Style Decoration Tips for Living Rooms
When you’re looking for Western-style decor ideas, take note of the following tips and tricks to guide you:
- This style emphasizes natural materials like unstained wood, wicker baskets, stone, and leather.
- Western-style decor in the living room has no room for luxurious furniture and pretentiousness so it’s not recommended to have high-tech gadgets in your living room.
- Since Western decoration is kept in its natural state, the color of wood you use must be white, cream, or sandy in order to fill with the brown surroundings. For example, if your furniture is in dark brown leather, the wooden walls and ceiling should be of a lighter color.
- To make your living room even warmer, bring in natural colors of clay as part of your Western living room decor. Terracotta can be incorporated into the fireplace, stove or flooring.
- Bright and catchy colors are all part of the Western-style. To create a smooth flow, contrast bold colors by pairing them with neutral tones.
- Paint, plaster or wallpaper are often used to decorate a Western-style living room. Exposed wooden beams or panels are also a must-have. You may paint or stain your wooden paneling in order to draw the eye to the textures of the panels. That said, keep the textures minimal otherwise, your Western-style living room will feel closed in.
- You can easily create a stunning accent wall by using brick or stone. This will bring an even more natural appearance to your living space.
- For the flooring, natural wooden boards instead of laminate or other imitations are ideal.
- Antique chests, wicker chairs, open wooden shelves must all be included in a Western living room. If you have a dining room, add an unstained wooden table with solid wooden chairs to complete the look.
Western Style Decor Ideas
Use Wooden Materials for a Rustic Feel
A rustic Western-style living room must look natural. To achieve this, consider installing unstained wood planks for the ceiling, walls, and even the floor. Your rustic living room can even look like a log cabin with exposed wooden beams or rough-sawn walls. In a rustic Western living room, the decor should include bulky leather or wooden furniture in dark brown, intricately designed throw pillows, and a large wooden table. A rug is a must-have in such traditional interiors. Wood is the dominant material in rustic Western design so make sure you add lots of unstained wood accents to give your living space a cozy feel.
Note how the high ceiling and walls of this rustic Western living room example combine natural wood with dark brown colors for an authentic feel.
Modernize the Space with Feature Walls
Those who prefer more of a modern touch to their Western decor, then why not modernize your space by using stone instead of wood. Stone accent walls are a great way to merge a modern touch with the traditional or rustic Western decor. You may also add a stone fireplace or dark-color animal skin to the modern space. A wall decor in the form of an animal head or a comfy leather sofa in dark brown color goes well with this theme. You can also hang a beautiful chandelier to complete the modern yet classy motif.
Decorating a living room with Western decor accents can be a lot of fun. Just picture yourself sitting on a leather sofa or loveseat surrounded with beautiful stone walls and a huge chandelier hanging from the middle of the room’s ceiling. This theme can perfectly tie together with some animal artifacts mounted on the mantle above the fireplace and a cowhide rug to complete the look.
In this modern family room, the Western theme has been utilized in the stone walls, the wooden ceiling and the authentic lighting. The living room feels opulent and classy yet simple. The modern furniture is accentuated by the presence of wooden flooring and the exposed beams.
Keep it Simple Yet Wild Western
Many homeowners prefer a simple, minimalist look when it comes to decorating their homes in a Western theme. By adding a couple of wooden rocking chairs, an antique chest, and other unstained wooden furniture to the living room, you can easily achieve the Western look. For added appeal, go for a neutral brown rug to match the rest of your wooden decor as shown here.
Go for a Classic Western Look
A classic Western living room decor is more elegant than a simple one. When you blend traditional features with plenty of bright colors, you will achieve the sophisticated classic Western decor. Think bright yellow walls, exposed wooden beams in dark brown with wooden wall panels, and of course, a large window with floral curtains as shown here. Natural earthy tones work very well in a classic-style Western interior.
As you can see, the floral patterns, dark brown wood, yellow drapes, and bright yellow wall all work in harmony to create a relaxing and cozy feel. We love the stunning lights on the ceiling and the walls, which have enhanced the classic Western look of this cozy living room.
Add Warm and Vibrant Colors
Using plenty of warm, vibrant hues can make a Western-themed living room feel like an even cozier space. Deep colors like orange, brown, yellow, and sandy beige can give your living room an authentic Western feel. Add in some bright reds and greens to tie the look together.
Here, instead of stone walls or wooden ceilings, the designer has chosen brick as another natural material that goes well in Western-style interiors. A bright color palette accompanied by brick will provide an authentic feel to the space since the living room relates more to the vibrant colors than the natural materials. You may even add a leather ottoman in a bright color to match your drapes and the wall colors. In rooms with large windows, a full-length drape in a bold color will enhance the coziness of the room.
Use Natural Materials
Like we mentioned before, a typical Western style decor must include natural materials like leather, stone, wood, metal, or brick. Any of these materials will help you achieve the Country Western look in your living room. Whether your interior is in a farmhouse or contemporary style, adding simple pieces like an old saddle, cowboy hat or an antique piece of furniture will highlight the motif. A Western-style decor is, without doubt, a charming theme that doesn’t require much effort to implement. Add some bulky wooden tables and chairs to the room and you’ve nailed the theme down to a tee!
In this example, all the typical Western decor motifs can be seen on the floor, the walls, and the furnishings. This log home oozes character and charm throughout thanks to the fitting theme it is based on.
Whether you’re planning on adding a few simple Western decoration pieces to your living room, or want a complete overhaul, our above list of ideas and tips won’t break the bank and are easy to implement. We’re sure there is something for all budgets to get inspired with a Western theme for their living rooms. Just remember to include lots of natural materials and vibrant colors into your Western decor. Make use of animal heads or cowhide rugs to emphasize the theme.