For a lot of homeowners, a recliner is their safe haven because it provides comfort. Unfortunately, this piece of furniture gets used a lot. As a result, it stops giving comfort and more frustrations. The most common complaint about a recliner is its footrest. Your recliner footrest may malfunction due to various reasons. One, in particular, is lack of maintenance. Thus, the recliner footrest may refuse to lock in place, or it gets stuck in one position. The good news is that you don’t have to throw your recliner and buy a new one. There are various ways to fix it when it malfunctions. To learn where the footrest is and how it is connected with other recliner parts, you can check out the parts of the recliner article.
And here are some methods to fix a recliner footrest.
Common Causes of Faulty Recliner Footrest
Improper Handling of the Footrest
One of the most common causes of recliner footrest malfunction is when you slam it too hard. Remember, when you slam the footrest too hard, it puts a lot of stress on the chair’s mechanism; thus, it stops working. Usually, the position of the footrest will remain in the position you last used it.
The best way to avoid footrest malfunction is to be careful when closing it. Additionally, you should also pull and close the footrest slowly because doing it quickly may damage its mechanism.
The Recliner is Old
Another common reason for footrest malfunction is due to old age. If this is the case, the recliner footrest probably has some loose parts; thus, you have to check if there are loose screws or parts. However, if the recliner is too old, it is best to consider getting a new one. That way, you’ll avoid future problems that may still arise even if you fix the issue.
Rust on the Recliner’s Mechanism
The mechanism of the recliner footrest may malfunction if there is rust, dust, or dirt in the mechanism. Usually, you can resolve this issue by turning the footrest on its side. Then, you can get rid of the dust and dirt by wiping them. You can also spray lubricant on the mechanical parts of the footrest.
Ways to Fix a Recliner Footrest
How to Fix a Loose Spring in the Recliner Footrest
A loose spring is a common problem for a recliner footrest. Remember, the spring allows you to adjust the footrest to your preferred position, enabling you to lie down in a perfect position. Fortunately, you can easily fix the loose spring in your recliner footrest by following these steps:
- The first step in fixing the loose spring in your recliner footrest is to turn it upside down so you can access its reclining mechanism.
- Afterward, you have to search for the spring, which connects the footrest to the other parts of the recliner.
- Once you found the spring, you have to remove the screws. Then, you can take out the spring. Keep in mind that you have to remember the steps that you did when removing the spring because you have to do the steps in reverse afterward.
- Finally, the last step is to install the new spring. In doing this, you have to make sure that the screws are tight and secured.
How to Fix a Sagging Recliner Footrest
A sagging footrest may be caused by a problem in the chair’s adjusting mechanism. The good news is that there’s a simple fix for this issue.
- To start repairing a sagging footrest, you have to flip the recliner then look for the adjusting mechanism.
- Once you’ve located the mechanism, the next step is to find the ratchet. It is a part of the mechanism that locks the footrest into place.
- Once you have access to the ratchet, you have to remove it by unscrewing the springs and screws. Remember, you need to take note of the placement of the screws and springs. That way, you’ll be able to put it back afterward.
- After uninstalling the ratchet, the next step is to remove the bar, which is the common culprit of a sagging recliner footrest.
- Afterward, you have to fix or replace the bar, then attach it to the ratchet. Finally, the last step is to reinstall the mechanism.
How to Fix a Recliner Footrest if It Doesn’t Stay Down
When you’re recliner footrest won’t stay down, the problem could be due to the lack of oil or lubricant in the mechanism. This issue can happen because the original lubricant has worn out, and regular maintenance wasn’t applied. Fortunately, fixing this problem is simple, but it could be messy. As such, you have to protect your recliner.
- The first step in fixing a sagging recliner footrest is to flip the recliner. Afterward, you have to locate the wooden chassis.
- Once you’ve located the wooden chassis, you can remove the screws that are holding it.
- You’ll be able to access the vital joints once the wooden chassis is out of the way. From there, you can spray some lubricant on all the joints that you can see.
- The final step is to put the screws back. In doing this, you have to make sure that the screws are tight and secured.
How to Fix a Footrest Leaning on One Side
When a recliner footrest leans on one side, it can be due to loose screws on the mechanism. Another cause of this problem is a bent in the mechanism. If the cause is loose screws, then you’ll be able to fix the problem. However, if the issue is due to a bent in the mechanism, the best option is to replace the part.
- To fix a recliner footrest that leans on one side, you have to flip the recliner. This step will allow you to carefully examine the chair’s mechanism.
- From there, you have to ensure that all the screws are secured and tight. If there are some loose screws, you have to lighten them.
Keep in mind that tightening the screws should be able to resolve the problem. If not, you have to inspect the scissor of the mechanism. If this part is bent, then you need to replace it.
How to Fix the Adjustment System of a Recliner Footrest
The adjustment system of a recliner footrest allows the footrest to be adjusted in various positions. Thus, if the footrest fails to go down from the up position, the problem is probably due to the adjustment system. Once you’ve made some adjustments, the footrest will be able to move smoothly.
- The first step in fixing the adjustment system of a recliner footrest is to flip the recliner and locate the ratchet. Usually, the ratchet is the part of the mechanism that allows the footrest to have in-between positions.
- Afterward, you have to disassemble the part that is attached to the ratchet. You can do this step by removing the screws and springs. From there, you’ll find a bar, which is usually connected to the front area of the chair.
- Once you’ve removed the ratchet, the footrest should be able to go up and down.
- If you want your footrest to have an in-between position, you need to replace the ratchet. You can also try to file the ratchet’s teeth. Filing the teeth may enable the footrest to go up, down, and in the middle position smoothly.
- Once resolved, you can reinstall the ratchet.
How to Fix the Power of an Electric Recliner Footrest
The power of your recliner footrest can stop working due to various reasons. In some cases, you can fix the problem quickly. On the other hand, some causes may require professional help.
If the problem was due to loose wiring, you can fix the recliner footrest by checking the wires attached to the motor. From there, you have to make sure that all the wires are connected properly. You can also secure the wires by using a clamp.
Another reason the power of your recliner footrest may stop working is due to power surges. Keep in mind that power surges can overheat the recliner’s transformer, which shuts down the motor. As such, you have to check this part of the recliner. If the transformer shows a green light, then it has no problem. If not there is no light, you have to replace the motor. Usually, this step requires professional help.
How to Fix a Loose Recliner Footrest
A loose recliner footrest is often caused by wear and tear. The good news is that you can resolve this problem easily and quickly.
To fix a loose recliner footrest, you have to tighten the fasteners that secure the footrest to the mechanism. If the whole chair is loose, you have to search for the metal brackets. They are located at the back of the chair. From there, all you need to do is to tighten the fasteners.