A high-volume low pressure (HVLP) spray gun is like an ordinary spray gun that uses an air compressor so that the air can move through the gun. The difference is that an HVLP spray gun uses a high volume of air at low pressure. One benefit of applying paint at low pressure is that you avoid over-spraying. Plus, it also results in less waste and a better finish. The only downside of this tool is that it is slower compared to conventional spray guns. So, if you’re opting for high speed, this tool is not for you.
In This Article
- Uses of HVLP Spray Guns
- The Best HVLP Spray Guns
- Features to Consider When Buying HVLP Spray Gun
- How to Use an HVLP Spray Gun?
- Tips for Cleaning Your HVLP Spray Gun
Uses of HVLP Spray Guns
Painting of Buildings
Keep in mind that an HVLP spray gun is not recommended if you’re going to paint a large surface. The reason is that it will consume a lot of your paint, time, and effort. Instead, you can use this tool for finishing work. For example, you can use it to apply paint around your window trims. Aside from that, it can also be used for other indoor applications that require a detailed finish.
One of the most popular uses of HVLP spray gun is automotive refinishing. In fact, more and more shops are opting for this type of paint sprayer because it delivers a detailed finish. Plus, it is the best tool you can use for tasks such as color blending, inserting accents and details, pinstripes, and other finely controlled painting jobs. Additionally, this tool uses low pressure. As such, the paint’s concentration is higher, allowing you to work accurately without misting or excessive overspray.
Aside from cars, boats and other watercraft also requires regular maintenance, especially in terms of waterproofing. Unfortunately, these water vessels have areas that are hard to reach. The good news is that an HVLP spray gun will allow you to paint small and hard-to-get areas, thanks to its precision controls. With this tool, you can refinish any water vessel with ease.
Furniture and Woodwork Refinishing
Aside from those uses, HVLP spray guns are also great for furniture and woodwork refinishing. With this tool, you can easily paint windowsills, baseboards, roof beams, and door frames. However, you have to make sure that you have proper ventilation, especially if you’re working indoors. Additionally, you also need to cover the parts that you don’t want to paint with masking tape or plastic sheets.
The Best HVLP Spray Guns
TCP Global Professional Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun
The TCP Global Professional Gravity Feed HVLP spray gun is one of the best paint sprayers for do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. The reason is that it is easy to use even if you don’t have any experience.
For its features, this HVLP spray gun has a 1.4mm tip that is great for full atomization when you’re spraying single-stage, clear-coats, base-coats, and various light to medium viscosity paint or materials. Aside from that, it also has a full baffle head assembly. As such, this tool can deliver a consistent spray pattern, resulting in a smooth finish.
Aside from those features, this HVLP spray gun is made with stainless steel, which ensures durability. Plus, it has a gravity-feed cup that allows you to paint with different angles. Also, it has control knobs, enabling you to adjust the air pressure, fluid management, and spray pattern. Lastly, this tool comes with a one-year warranty.
Despite its great features, this HVLP spray gun only comes with a 1.4mm tip. Even so, this size is enough for most painting jobs or projects. Another drawback of this product is that it is not great with thick paints or lacquers.
HomeRight C800766 Finish Max Paint Sprayer
The HomeRight C800766 Finish Max paint sprayer is one of the best spray guns for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money. Although this tool has a budget-friendly price, it is still an excellent choice, especially for small projects. Also, it delivers a smooth finish without any brush marks, making it an excellent choice for painting trims, cabinets, and furniture.
For its features, this HVLP spray gun is easy to use, thanks to its adjustable settings. To be specific, you can adjust its air cap so you can spray vertical, horizontal, and round. Additionally, you can also adjust its material flow control knob. This feature enables you to decrease or increase the material output; thus, you’ll be able to adjust the paint flow to your needs.
Aside from those features, this HVLP spray gun also uses a 2mm brass spray tip and nozzle that delivers superior performance. To be specific, this feature provides consistent spray patterns. Plus, the brass tip and nozzle are also resistant to corrosion.
The HomeRight C800766 Finish Mas paint sprayer can be used for a variety of materials, including latex paint, milk paint, chalk-type paint, primers, varnish, stain, and enamels. Plus, it comes with a viscosity cup, so you can measure paint thickness easily. This spray gun is also easy to clean, and the product comes with a cleaning brush. Also, this affordable tool comes with a two-year warranty.
This HVLP spray gun is certainly an excellent product considering its great features. However, it has some limitations. For instance, you need to thin thick paints first before you can use them. Aside from that, this tool tends to leak, but you can resolve the problem with a high-quality seal.
DeVilbiss 803558 Paint Gun
The DeVilbiss 803558 paint gun is one of the best HVLP spray guns for automotive refinishing and other detailed painting tasks for various reasons. For one, it delivers a smooth, professional finish, especially when used the right way. Aside from that, it is also easy to use, clean, and maintain.
For its features, the DeVilbiss 803558 paint gun is compatible with all kinds of paints, including latex paint, urethanes, and enamels. Additionally, it also has a 900ml aluminum cup, which is great for small to medium-sized projects. Also, it has stainless steel components that ensure durability.
As mentioned, this HVLP spray gun delivers a professional finish, thanks to its dynamic air control, which ensures that all painting tasks have a uniform coat. Plus, this product comes with 1.3mm, 1.5mm, and 1.8mm Fluid Tips. As such, it is suitable for various paint jobs.
Keep in mind that this HVLP spray gun should be used with a solvent to ensure that the paint has an appropriate thickness. As a result, it can produce an even finish.
The DeVilbiss 803558 offers a lot of great features; however, this product is among the most expensive HVLP spray guns in the market. Even so, you are guaranteed to get all your money’s worth because it is easy to use, clean, and maintain.
Fuji 2203G Semi-Pro 2 HVLP Spray System
The Fuji 2203G Semi-Pro 2 HVLP spray gun is not for beginners. Instead, it is designed for contractors looking for a compact and powerful tool.
With this HVLP spray gun, you are guaranteed that it will last for a long time, thanks to its metal construction. Aside from that, it weighs about 26.1 pounds. This is quite heavy, but it still allows you to carry it from one place to another with ease. Also, this product comes with a 25-foot hose that is sturdy enough for various outdoor projects.
Aside from those features, the Fuji 2203G Semi-Po 2 HVLP spray gun has a 1-quart cup capacity. As such, you don’t refill it constantly if you’re working on a large project. It also has an air control valve that allows you to control its pressure, which helps prevent over-spraying. Also, it has a fan control knob that enables you to adjust the spray pattern size from small to wide. Best of all, it has a non-bleed feature that doesn’t allow the air to bleed. As a result, you’ll get an even finish every time you use this powerful tool.
All in all, this HVLP spray can is adjustable in terms of spray pattern, power, and capacity. Plus, it is easy to assemble and use. However, you need to thin thick paints first before using this spray gin because it is made for elegance and not speed. Another drawback is that it comes with a high price tag.
Earlex HV5500 Spray Gun
The Earlex HV5500 spray gun is highly recommended for those looking for a lightweight and portable spray gun. To be specific, this product only weighs 12 pounds; thus, you can move it from one place to another easily and quickly.
Despite being a lightweight tool, this HVLP spray gun can deliver superior performance. In fact, it has a 650-watt motor that is suitable for small to medium-sized projects. Aside from that, it is also equipped with a 2mm stainless steel tip and nozzle, allowing you to tackle various kinds of paint jobs such as refinishing furniture, cabinets, fences, and other DIY projects.
A great feature of this HVLP spray gun is its adjustable settings that enable you to change the spray pattern from circular, vertical, or horizontal. Additionally, it also has a built-in storage space where you can store the gun, cord, and hose. Also, it has a one-quart cup capacity. As such, you don’t have to refill it constantly. Best of all, this spray gun is compatible with various materials, including lacquers, enamels, sealers, and many more.
As presented, the Earlex HV5500 spray gun has a lot of great features. However, it only suitable for small to medium-sized projects. Additionally, it comes with a 13-foot hose, which is short for some painting jobs. Also, some users have reported that the hose disconnects easily, especially when it gets tangled. Despite these drawbacks, this HVLP spray gun is still an excellent choice because it is easy to use, plus it delivers a semi-professional finish.
Features to Consider When Buying HVLP Spray Gun
As you know, there are a lot of HVLP spray guns in the market. As such, choosing the best product can be a daunting task. Even so, you can narrow down your list by considering the following features:
One of the most important features you need to consider when buying an HVLP spray gun is its ability to handle different types of painting tasks, especially if you’re going to use it outdoors and indoors. Aside from that, it should also be able to use various kinds of paint. As much as possible, opt for a model that can operate with various paint thicknesses. An excellent HVLP spray gun will allow you to use thick paint without thinning.
Another vital feature you need to consider is adjustability. To be specific, you have to opt for a model that has an adjustable spray rate feature. Additionally, it should also allow you to change the size of the nozzle. Remember, the different nozzles and tips offer versatility, allowing you to get various spray patterns and finishes.
The cup capacity of an HVLP spray gun refers to the amount of paint it can hold. A spray gun with a lar cup capacity will allow you to paint without spending too much refiling the cup. However, if you’re painting in a small area, a large cup may get in the way.
The average cup capacity of an HVLP spray gun is 1,000 ml. For large projects, a cup capacity of 1,200 ml is preferred. If you have a small project, a cup capacity of 750ml or less is enough.
Aside from cup capacity, you also need to consider the cup configurations. You can either pick an under-the-gun cup or a gravity-feed cup.
When the cup is located on top of the gun, it is called a gravity-feed cup. With this type of cup, the paint goes into the gun with the help of gravity. As such, it allows you to pain from different angles. You can point it down, up, or at any angle you prefer.
Compared to the gravity-feed cup, an under-the-gun cup is unwieldy. Even so, it is more stable. Plus, you can easily manage its weight, so you can get larger capacities. Also, it is cheaper than a spray gun with a gravity-feed cup.
Spray guns are rated according to the surface area they can cover in a minute, which is measured by cubic feet per minute (CFM). Of course, if you’re going to paint a large surface, it is best to opt for an HVLP spray gun with a higher CFM to save time. Ideally, a spray gun with a CFM of 2.5 is adequate for most types of projects.
Length of Hose
The length of the hose is a vital feature because it allows you to paint hard-to-reach areas with ease. Ideally, a hose with a length of 25 feet is enough for most painting tasks. Aside from that, you should also consider the length of the main or power cable. The longer the length, the further away you can work from the power outlet or output.
How to Use an HVLP Spray Gun?
All HVLP spray guns will include a comprehensive guide on how to use the tool. So, it is imperative to read the manufacturer’s manual before using your spray gun. If you’re searching for a quick guide, here are the basic instructions you can follow to operate your HVLP spray gun.
- To avoid the build-up of paint and clogging, it is imperative that you clean your spray gun’s filter before using it.
- Afterward, you can plug the tool into a power source or supply. Before plugging, you have to make sure that the hose is connected properly and securely. As much as possible, you have to ensure that there are no objects that will disconnect the hose from the unit.
- Before spraying paint, you also need to make sure that the area you’re going to work in is ventilated properly. Remember, paint has some fumes that may cause a negative reaction, so you need to open all your windows for your safety.
- Aside from proper ventilation, you also need to cover the areas or materials you don’t want to paint. Keep in mind that an HVLP spray gun will only produce a little bit of overspray, but it can still cause a slight mess.
- Before using your spray gun, you also need to check the nozzle and make sure that you are using the right one for your project.
- Some spray guns require you to thin the paint first before spraying. As such, you have to read the manufacturer’s manual to know if your need to thin the paint first. Doing this will ensure that you get a smooth and even finish.
- Once everything is ready, you can now attach the air hose to the spray gun and set the required air pressure. Remember, low pressure is necessary so you can spray in fine detail. However, if you prefer speed, you can set the air pressure to high. This is not recommended because all HVLP spray guns operate at low pressure.
- From there, you can now adjust the fluid control, which determines the amount of paint you’re going to spray. It can either be a thick or thin coating. Additionally, you can also adjust the air cap, so you can spray horizontally, vertically, or in a circular manner.
- Afterward, you can now start spraying. In doing this step, you have to apply the paint in an even pattern. Aside from that, you also have to maintain distance from the surface you’re spraying the paint on.
- After you finish spraying, it is imperative that you clean all the parts of your spray gun. By doing this, you are not only making sure that the tool will last for a long time. It will also ensure that the tool is already clean the next time you use it.
Tips for Cleaning Your HVLP Spray Gun
As mentioned, cleaning your spray gun properly will ensure that the tool will last for a long time. For this reason, it is necessary to clean it after using it. So, here are some tips to help you clean your spray gun.
- Keep in mind that it is vital that you use the right cleaner solvent for your spray gun. Most store-bought paint thinners will not work on some material like oil-based paints and enamels. Ideally, you can use an automotive-grade lacquer thinner or a spray gun cleaning solution to clean your tool thoroughly.
- Natural cleaners, like citrus-based solutions, can also be used to clean your spray gun thoroughly. However, this type of cleaner is not suitable for waterborne coating. Aside from that, it also requires more drying time.
- If you want to keep your exposure to harsh chemicals at a minimum, you can also use disposable cup liners for your spray gun.
- Always remember that you need to clean the nozzle of your spray gun if you’re going to use a different color of paint. Additionally, it should also be cleaned if you’re going to switch from paint to lacquer or vice versa. To do this, you can give the nozzle a quick rinse or soak it in a bath of thinner while you’re resting. By doing this, you can prevent clogging. Afterward, you have to make sure that the thinner is completely gone from the tip before continuing with your second coat.
- Keep in mind that you have to disassemble your spray gun to clean it thoroughly. Once cleaned, you can reassemble the tool again. Doing this may seem like a tedious task; however, it is a vital step you need to follow. Plus, you’ll be able to do this quickly with a little practice.